Friday, April 6, 2012

A Glimpse into the Humility of Christ


So when he had washed their feet
and put his garments back on and reclined at table again,
he said to them, "Do you realize what I have done for you?
You call me 'teacher' and 'master,' and rightly so, for indeed I am.
If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet,
you ought to wash one another's feet.
I have given you a model to follow,
so that as I have done for you, you should also do."
(John 13:12-15)

I was reminded last night, at our parish's Mass of the Lord's Supper, of the reality that learning about our beautiful Catholic faith is a lifelong journey. And the opportunities to have our eyes opened and our hearts changed seem to come when we least expect them.

As I sat in my office yesterday morning I received an e-mail from my wife asking if I would be willing to have my foot washed during the Mass as they needed one more person and did not know who else to ask at such a late hour.  To be honest my first reaction was one of inconvenience, "I don't want to have my feet washed. I'll have to show up early.  Do I really have to get up in front of a full church and take my shoe and sock off? Ugh."  Truth be told, as I reflect on my initial reaction, it was one of pride.  

But my wife persisted and told the parish "yes" for me.  I am thankful that she did.

After the homily, as it happens at all churches during this Mass, twelve of us approached the sanctuary to sit on stools to await the washing of our feet.  As I removed my sock and shoe I became dismayed that "everybody is looking at me and my bare foot." That brief and little moment of insecurity faded away as I began to watch my pastor wash the feet of those before me.  

I have been attending Mass on Holy Thursday for over thirty years, but I don't recall ever seeing a priest wash the feet as he did on this evening.  His sincerity - his humility - his love of his people was so evident as he took each foot, poured water over it, dried it and kissed it.  Yes, he kissed each of our feet. And after he kissed my foot he said, "Thank you."  He said thank you to me after his beautiful and moving act of humility.

The truth is I owe my pastor, Msgr. Mathieu, gratitude for his act of humility because it truly offered me a glimpse into the humility of Christ.  On this night the Lord, through his priest, allowed me to go a little deeper - to gain more insight into what Christ did for his disciples - did for us - on that first Holy Thursday.

"I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do." It struck me later that night as I knelt in adoration of the Real Presence of Christ that the disciples must have been in awe of the sight of Christ washing their feet, as I was of my pastor.  No wonder Peter's resolute stance against Jesus, the master, humbling himself in such an undignified way.  

Of course, His act of humility on that night was only a precursor to the ultimate act of humility He was to offer the next day as He humbled Himself to death, death on a cross. 

"I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do."  These words have taken on more meaning for me this year in light of my blessed experience of having my foot washed, dried, and kissed.  I pray, on this Good Friday, that I might learn to humble myself more and more - to give myself completely - to die to myself for the sake of those I love that I too might offer others a glimpse of the humility of Jesus Christ.

Amen.

By Michael Lavigne

No comments:

Post a Comment