Friday, March 30, 2012

Witnesses to the Light


As we prepare ourselves to enter Holy Week I'd like to share these words of Pope Benedict XVI from the second volume of Jesus of Nazareth:

“In living out the Gospel and in suffering for it, the Church, under the guidance of the apostolic preaching, has learned to understand the mystery of the Cross more and more, even though ultimately it is a mystery that defies analysis in terms of our rational formulae. The darkness and irrationality of sin and the holiness of God, too dazzling for our eyes, come together in the Cross, transcending our power of understanding. And yet in the message of the New Testament, and in the proof of that message in the lives of the saints, the great mystery has become radiant light. 

The mystery of atonement is not to be sacrificed on the altar of overweening rationalism. The Lord’s response to the request of the sons of Zebedee for seats at his right hand and at his left remains a key text for Christian faith in general: ‘The Son of man…came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many’ (Mk 10:45)” (p. 240)

At the beginning of Lent I shared with you about my anticipation of witnessing the Lenten journey of the catechumens and candidates I have been blessed to teach this year at my parish.  God has not disappointed.  I was not surprised to see God's hand in their lives through a variety of situations as they allowed Him to prepare their hearts and minds to come into His Church. Their journeys have illuminated my own this Lent.

Just this week I was moved by the clear anticipation that they have, especially the catechumens, to die with Christ in order to rise to new life as children of God in Baptism.  Their sincerity and desire to confirm and strengthen baptismal grace through Confirmation. The patient, but passionate, anticipation of their first reception of the Eucharist - the source and summit of the Christian life.

My prayer for this Holy Week, in light of their witness, is that I might approach this season of grace with their humility - their zeal - their childlike anticipation.  I pray that I might better offer up any burdens I have to the One who came to "give his life as a ransom for many."

God bless all of you.  I pray that your and my Lenten journeys have prepared us well to celebrate these mysteries. 

By Michael Lavigne

No comments:

Post a Comment