Thursday, February 2, 2012

Winter is a Blessing


I don’t know what the original thinking was when Easter was “scheduled” in the spring, but I think it was a stroke of divine inspiration. It’s probably no mistake either that Advent and Lent (both seasons of preparation) occur in the winter season. At least to my thinking.  “What is her point?” you ask.

All week I’ve been reflecting on the changes that winter brings.  Patios and picnic tables covered in snow. Cumbersome coats, boots, gloves, hats are pulled out of mothballs as are winter tires, snow shovels and sanding salt.  Trees and bushes stand like so many stick figures waiting in the wings for their dress rehearsal.

Isn’t it the same with us?  We are forced to slow down because of the season and occasionally we come to a standstill because of the weather.

If it weren’t for the winter season, I would continue to be busy doing this, that and the other.  Busy running errands, spending time with friends, going shopping and whatever else I get caught up in when the temperature is fine and I can go about unencumbered by the weather.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that, for me, winter is an extended examination of conscience.  In the winter I become more reflective, more introspective.  I find areas in my life where I should be doing better, behaviors and attitudes that need changing.  I don’t always succeed in making those changes but at least now I recognize what I need to work on.  So in my life winter is indeed . . . a blessing.


By Judy Michaud

No comments:

Post a Comment