Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Slow Down!


The past several months I’ve found myself in a crazy whirlwind of activity.  A summer of transition, a big move for my family, a very blessed trip to World Youth Day, a great evening of worship with Jackie Francois and Patrick Coffin, and now I find myself busily preparing for more wonderful upcoming retreats including Journey 2011, the first ever Catholic Women’s Conference, and the annual March for Life Trip as well as a personal pilgrimage to the Holy Lands and my college roommate’s wedding.  It seems like there’s just been so much going on in all dimensions of my life that I’ve barely had time to breathe, sleep, or even think!  Don’t get me wrong…they’re all very good things – just a lot all at once. 

I was recently sharing with a friend all the great things I’ve been up to lately and made a comment that I just need to slow down so I can enjoy it!  His response: “No, you need to slow down so you can pray.”  Touché.  Without realizing it, in the midst of life’s busyness, my life and mentality shifted to the very thing that Jesus rebukes Martha for in the passage we recently heard in the Gospel at Mass.  “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.  Only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen the better part.”  Everything going on in my life had begun to become a burden and cause for anxiousness and worry rather than a cause for rejoicing and celebration of the good things that God is doing in my life and through my work.  I had become so busy doing the works of the Lord that I forgot about the Lord of the works!

These words that Jesus speaks to Mary penetrated straight to my heart.  “Mary has chosen the better part.”  What is it that we find Mary doing?  Sitting at the feet of Jesus.  If we are to be effective evangelizers in and through the work that we do, whether we work directly in ministry or answer the call to evangelize in the midst of our secular jobs and temporal affairs, we absolutely must spend time sitting at the feet of Jesus!  Soaking in His love, letting His gaze penetrate ours, and listening to His promptings so that the many things we find ourselves anxious and worried about can become instead causes for joy and opportunities for love.  Sitting at the feet of Jesus reminds us what is truly important and gives us strength to continue doing the work of bringing others to Him.

And so, if you find yourself like me, caught up in the craziness of the fall and a new school year, I challenge you to take some time to slow down…and pray.

By Sarah Houde

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder, Ms. Sarah, that I must not let the urgent things of life -- no matter how "urgent" a thing may seem to me to be -- to override the most important thing in my life: PRAYER.

    ReplyDelete