Thursday, October 20, 2011

It's the Little Things


We can easily say “I am a Christian” and sometimes it’s even easy to behave as a Christian: when we team or attend a retreat when we attend Mass, when we volunteer in the parish, etc.  These are times and places when it is easy to put on the mind of Christ.  But this is not the where we live and where we live is where the challenge is.  We live in and are exposed to places and situations that constantly bombard us with messages and behaviors that are contrary to Christ’s teachings.  Without pausing to think about it, I’m sure we can all name a couple of people who claim to be Christians but whose lives do not reflect that.   However, I want to challenge you to think about YOU and the areas in your life that may not exemplify Christ. 

Immediately our minds turn to the BIG things:  I’m faithful to my spouse; I go to Church once a week, sometimes more; I don’t swear; I volunteer; I haven’t committed murder; I’m not a thief, etc. Great!  That’s all great, no doubt about it.  But let’s look at the details, the little things of our lives that may speak loudest.  After all that is what St. Therese of the Child Jesus did.  She worked on the details of the picture more than the big picture itself.

Do we give our spouse and children the same courtesy and respect that we would give others such as please/thank-you or excuse me?  We would do that much for strangers, why not our family?  What about our language?  Do we clean up our language when we’re in public but resort to more colorful words with close friends/family? As Christians, we should not have one behavior at home and one out in the world.  We need to do our best to be Christian in our thoughts/words/actions all the time, everywhere.

Are we good stewards of what God has given us?  Do we waste food? Do we recycle?  Do we hoard the clothes that we no longer wear or worse yet, do we throw them out? Are we respectful of our property and the property of others? You’re getting a new set of dishes.  What do you do with the old one? Do you throw it away, store it, or do you donate it to the battered women’s shelter, the food kitchen, Good Will? Do we spend our money wisely? Are we honest in our treatment of others, even when no one else would know?  You have a second job (or your wife or teenager) but are paid under the table so it doesn’t have to be reported on your income tax.  The clerk at the store gave you change for a twenty but you gave her a ten.  We would be quick to point it out if she gave you too little change, but too much change? Would you even have to think about it before saying anything?

Do we place conditions on our commitment to Christ?  I’ll work at the food kitchen/pantry if it rains;  I’ll visit the sick if I can’t find a partner for golf; I clothe the naked if . . . I’ll be kind to my enemy if . . .  I’ll pray more after I retire; after the garden is in; after the kids are older.  First, I have to remodel this room; first I have to roof the garage . . . the kids are too young . . .  after that I’ll  get involved. We are not all called to become Mother Theresa.  We can’t all be great evangelists.  As St. Paul said in his first letter to the Corinthians, we are all parts of the same body and each part has its own function. Not every part is meant to be flamboyant. Not every part is going to be recognized for the work that it does but each part is required to do the best they can, right where they are, just as they are.  

As with St. Therese, it’s the little things that made a difference and it’s the little things that will help to keep us on the path and allow us to follow Jesus as we should.

By Judy Michaud

1 comment: