Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Triduum: A Pilgrimage of Love

As we enter into the climatic season of the liturgical year for the Church, I pray that our Lenten journey has prepared us well. Pope Benedict reminds us that the Easter Triduum "invites us to ponder the loving obedience of Christ." These days give us a poignant and tangible opportunity to immerse ourselves into Christ's salvific actions.  In a way, the commemoration of Jesus' passion, death and resurrection during these three days can become a pilgrimage during which we can "resolve to imitate Christ's loving obedience to the Father's saving plan, which is the source of authentic freedom and the path of eternal life."

I have distinct memories of the Triduum from when I was young and can vividly recall how much I learned about my Catholic faith through the liturgical movement of the Church.  Bishop Malone often speaks about how he was “marinated in the faith as a child” and this was certainly the case for me during these most important of days.

On Holy Thursday I was always moved by the humble act of the washing of feet and processing with our Eucharistic Lord to the parish chapel where the faithful would “keep watch” with Christ until midnight.  There was something special about spending time with Christ in Eucharistic Adoration as we commemorated the night before He died.  Maybe it was the connection with that actual night two thousand years ago when the Apostles could not stay awake and how, in my sinfulness, I could be just like them often in my life. And yet, in His Presence, I knew I was loved.

Good Friday brought a time of silence, making the Lavigne home eerily quiet, from noon to 3 p.m.  I remember many Good Friday afternoons when I was alone in my room reading about Christ’s sacrifice on the Cross in my children’s Bible. As we grew older my brother began a tradition of putting up crosses in our back yard as a sign of his faith and love of Christ (he still practices this tradition today as he now lives in our childhood home with his family – about 25 years later).  And in the evening the community would gather to reflect intensely on Jesus’ redemptive act and we would “behold the wood of the Cross on which hung the Savior of the world.” As a young child I learned many lessons from the elders of our community who approached the Cross with such reverence, devotion and love for our Lord.

The climax of the Triduum is the Easter Vigil.  I have often taught young people that if they want to learn and experience the richness and beauty of our Catholic faith then they should attend the Easter Vigil Mass.  This celebration has it all – darkness and fire; silence and praise; the simplicity of water and the beauty of flowers; individuals coming into the Church and the community of believers embracing them.  I was blessed to be an altar server for many years during this powerful liturgical expression of our faith.  

There are many memories, too many to recount here, but one stands out after all these years.  It was just as the Easter candle was placed into its stand in the sanctuary, the Church being lit up by the candles of all the faithful, and the Deacon would begin to chant: “Rejoice, heavenly powers! Sing choirs of angels! Exult, all creation around God’s throne! Jesus Christ, our King is risen! Sound the trumpet of salvation!” As his voice rang out (our Deacon was – and he still is – a humble and compelling witness of our Catholic faith for me) my heart stirred with joy, hope and love.  Every year my heart stirred at this moment. It still does.

Now that I have my own children I pray that they too will be “marinated” in the life-giving truths of our faith during the Easter Triduum. I hope they will be moved by the actions of humility; by silence; by a reverent kiss of the Cross; by darkness and light; by a servant’s chanting of Christ’s victory; by the truth of Christ’s saving action out of love for them.

I pray you take time to stop, listen and learn during these holy days. This journey of faith, over the next few days, ultimately culminates in the triumphant celebration of our identity as Christians. "We are an Easter people and hallelujah is our song," Pope John Paul II reminded us so often. Even in the midst of persecution, loss, suffering, loneliness, and death we remain hope-filled due to the reality of Christ's victory! May we, through the graces available to us in this holy season, be witnesses of such hope and joy.  May our lives radiate Christ's obedient love!

by Michael Lavigne
 

No comments:

Post a Comment