Friday, September 3, 2010

Heating Up


For some reason the brutal heat and humidity of last week got me
to thinking about sin. My train of thought was that my conscience is my
spiritual gauge and when I sin, it too heats up, like the thermometer.

Admittedly, I’m not a fan of all this heat and humidity. Never have
been. Anything over 80 degrees and I start looking for AC. There is no
AC when it comes to sin and I have to suffer the consequences of that.
I’m not talking about major stuff here, but rather the little things that are
easy to escape notice: the sarcastic remark; not taking time to help,
call, listen, console; failing to remain gracious and kind when I’m talking
to customer service. I’ve been trying to run interference with some of
these situations and I try to see Christ in each person. I often think of
what Jesus said, “That which you do to the least of these, you do to me.”

It’s not the black and white situations that get the best of me, it’s
the grey areas and if I’m not vigilante about what I say and do in these
situations my conscience will overheat. I have to remember that I am
first and foremost an emissary of Jesus Christ and I will be judged by the
standards which I proclaim. I have failed many times and will continue to
do so. Of that I am sure because I am, after all, a human being.

My goal however, is to have more successes (way more successes)
than failures and if that means my conscience has to “heat up” on a regular
basis then so be it.

Judy Michaud

No comments:

Post a Comment