Thursday, November 17, 2011

18 Days and Counting


As I write this, my son and daughter-in-law are anticipating the birth of their first child, a girl.  Naturally they’re excited, as am I.  I’ve crocheted 2 blankets for the baby and I’ve done plenty of shopping.  We touch base regularly after she visits the doctor.  “How’s the baby? How much does the doctor think she weighs?  How are you feeling?”  The baby is due November 26 but the doctor said the baby will probably come sooner. I keep checking the calendar:  18 days and counting. . .   I’ve reminded my son at least twice in the past week or so:  Make sure you call me when you leave for the hospital. Don’t forget.

The first Sunday of Advent is right around the corner.  We are all aware that it is a time of waiting and preparation for the birth of Jesus.  But how many of us get really excited about this brief season of the liturgical calendar?  How many of us feel the excitement that I’m feeling over the impending birth of my first granddaughter?  Granted, the birth of a baby generates excitement for most people. Shouldn’t the birth of our Lord and Savior also generate excitement and anticipation?  I know we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of shopping, decorating, baking and the busy-ness of the season. Yet in the midst of our preparations are we feeling an element of joy and excitement as we think about the coming birth of Jesus or are we simply going through the paces so we can get it over and done with? 

This Advent, let’s take a deep breath and relax.  Christmas will come and go whether we bake 10 kinds of cookies or 2 kinds.  Christ’s birth will be celebrated regardless of how many gifts we can afford.  Take the time to gather with family and friends and celebrate the real reason for the season. The King is coming!  

By Judy Michaud

No comments:

Post a Comment