Friday, March 25, 2011

We Are a Work in Progress


We’re already in the second week of Lent. I’ve “kept” the “penances” I’ve taken but I’ve also been challenged in a number of other ways.  Did you ever notice that? Regardless of what’s going on, regardless what penance you take, it seems that during Lent there is always something else that will rise up and challenge your way of thinking, of responding.  

These incidents happen the year round, of course, but for some reason during Lent they seem to be more prominent.  I think I’m a patient person. It’s an acquired virtue. You know “practice makes perfect” and I’ve had plenty of practice.  But I ran into a situation recently that had me wanting to pull my hair out.  Internally I had a knee-jerk reaction (and I would never say out loud what I was thinking) but beyond the immediate thoughts, I knew that I needed to take a deep breath and wait this out.  I knew that in spite of what is happening, God would place His hand on it and resolve it in His way, in His time.  

You know how people/companies dangle a carrot to make someone pay attention or buy into whatever is being sold?  I think those little (and sometimes not so little) incidents, are the “carrots” that God is presenting to us.  I think it’s His way of telling us that we are still a work in progress. 

We still have several weeks of Lent.  It is my prayer, for myself and for all of you, that these unexpected situations become moments of growth and purification during this time of prayer and penance.

Judy Michaud

No comments:

Post a Comment