Saturday, January 1, 2011

Seeking Peace


In Alexandria, Egypt the New Year began with a suicide bombing against Christians leaving Mass with 21 being killed and almost 100 injured.  This on the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, the same Mother who implores all people to seek out her Son, Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace.  Pope Benedict XVI in his Message for this World Day of Peace reminds us of the sad reality that Christians are the most persecuted people on the planet:  

At present, Christians are the religious group which suffers most from persecution on account of its faith. Many Christians experience daily affronts and often live in fear because of their pursuit of truth, their faith in Jesus Christ and their heartfelt plea for respect for religious freedom. This situation is unacceptable, since it represents an insult to God and to human dignity; furthermore, it is a threat to security and peace, and an obstacle to the achievement of authentic and integral human development.

As I reflect on such a story in light of the beginning of 2011 I find myself pausing to think about peace in my own life: in my home, in my relationships, in my workplace.  It is my fervent prayer that as this new year begins that I humble myself in seeking out God's grace to assist me in being an instrument of His peace in my life.  It is my prayer that we will all embrace such a cause, which is the cause of all who are baptized and people of good-will everywhere.

Continued best wishes during this Christmas season and for a blessed 2011!

Mary, Mother of God, pray for us.


Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment