Friday, December 17, 2010

Mission Minded


Not many of you know this about me, but when I prepared to enter religious life as a young adult, it was with the intention of becoming a missionary.  I had hoped to serve in Africa one day.

My dad traveled the world for his work and did not approve of this desire because of the great poverty he witnessed personally.  However, he loved Quebec and enjoyed his business trips there.  So, when I discovered the Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary founded in Quebec, I enthusiastically showed him the booklet (making sure he did not see the pages about Africa and Haiti.)

After entering the community, which also embraced Brazil, I realized the Lord had something else in mind and I never served outside the country.  However, it was my goal to meet someone from every country in the world and reached 28 before losing count.  (I have many wonderful experiences and friends as a result!)
My other connection to the missions is my personal patron Saint, St Therese of Lisieux.  When studying at Providence College, my spiritual director and professor told me to research her life for one of my assignments.  As you know,  St Therese of Lisieux is the patron Saint of missionaries yet she was a cloistered nun!  So you see, you need not travel far to be "Mission Minded".
As the Director of Missions/CRS, I want to keep in touch with you because we are all called to be "Mission Minded" in our efforts to evangelize and catechize...  I want to continue supporting you in your efforts and ask for your prayers and support as I begin my new position.
For those who know me well... let me say... my joy for creativity and change is beginning to simmer....

God's Blessings for Advent and Christmas!

Ruth Oakley

No comments:

Post a Comment